As we head into the busy holiday season filled with all the excitement of parties and celebrations and the stress of an over scheduled calendar and an endless to do list, here are a few simple suggestions to help you stay on track with your commitment to your diet and healthy lifestyle:
First remember this fact: No one ever wakes up on January 1st and says “I wish I would have eaten MORE” (turkey, eggnog, fudge, cookies, fruitcake, Chex Mix, pie, etc.).
Instead, the mantra on January 1st is always about starting a strict diet, joining an overcrowded gym and buying a juicer with the promise of a multi-day cleanse
You can avoid all this with a little foresight, planning and mindful eating over the next six weeks!
- Set your boundaries and stay focused. The holidays are meant to be enjoyed. We all have our favorite foods and traditions. Decide ahead of time what festivities you are going to enjoy. It may be the Christmas party at the office or Christmas dinner with all the family. But you cannot indulge in everything!! Every party and every tray of cookies is not a reason for you to splurge and blow your commitment to healthy eating, and end up gaining 8-10 extra pounds over the holidays.
However, it’s understandable that it can be overwhelming avoiding all of the holiday foods and treats. Don’t stress yourself out too much. Rather, plan what’s important and select one food item that you enjoy every year that you really want to taste. Maybe it’s a piece of your mother’s pie that you look forward to every year, don’t fill up on appetizers and extra calories. Have a small piece – don’t have two, or three, or four slices. Know your limits and watch your portions. You can do it!!!
- Eat BEFORE arriving to functions where food will be served.
By eating prior to arriving to a function you are less likely to be tempted by high calorie/high fat foods. It is difficult to predict what types of food will be served and when. The hungrier you become, the more difficult it can be to make good choices.
- Bring something you can eat to the party! Such as a healthy veggie tray or a chilled shrimp. An appetizer tray would be welcome by any party host and guests alike.
- Getting Through The Holiday Head Games. Holiday gatherings are supposed to be fun, but don’t be surprised if at least one family member gives you a hard time about your new lifestyle. Stand firm and remember why you started in the first place. Try to limit the details you share about your new healthy lifestyle with others, especially if they aren’t being supportive. Surround yourself by supportive loved ones who are also trying to lose weight. Encourage each other to help you with your weight loss plan.
- Don’t Drink Your Calories!
Avoid sugary, high calorie drinks. One Venti Peppermint Mocha latte has 500 calories, with 18 grams of fat and a whopping 79 grams of carbs! Alcoholic beverages can also be very high in sugar and calories. Indulging in alcoholic beverages can make it much harder to avoid snacking. If you choose an alcoholic beverage, sip slowly a glass of wine, champagne, light beer or vodka with a no calorie mixer such as club or diet soda. Be sure to drink a glass of water between cocktails.
- Get Moving!
Don’t let the busy holiday season get you off track with your work outs. As life gets busier and the days get shorter it can be all too easy to do. But even just a little extra activity such as a 20 minute walk on your lunch break can keep your energy levels up and your waistline down! This is a great time to get an activity tracker like a Fit Bit or a simple pedometer. These devices track your activity which translates to calories burned. If you want to splurge on a holiday treat then be sure to “walk it out” on the street! Remember it takes one mile of walking or jogging to burn 100 calories!
- Remember to get your RM3 Fat Burning Shots! They provide extra energy as well as help you burn extra fat! If you are taking a break from your program during the holidays but want to maintain all your hard work, the RM3 Control Kit can help you stay on track and resist regaining weight.
We know the holidays can be stressful so even if you do put on a few extra pounds, please remember that we are here for you. We will be ready to help you take off any extra pounds with RM3, the most effective weight loss program in Arizona!
Wishing you a healthy, Happy Holiday and New Year!
*Individual results may vary. Seek medical advice before starting any weight loss program. Contact Red Mountain Weight Loss to make sure this is the right solution for you.